Thursday, September 1, 2011

Incursion Headaches

I just moved in to my new place last week. I can use voice comms later at night without disturbing people, which is when I've had time to play lately. So after clearing out the singular anomaly in our C2 and tidying up my PI, I decided to go run some incursions, something I haven't done for months.

Now, incursions are great for making lots of isk. I haven't found anything better. I'd like to build my wallet up enough that I can invest in a loki and a couple different T2 cruisers and not feel completely poor. I pop out of the wormhole and take a look around. There's a helios right next to me who promptly cloaks up. I probably could have waited inside to chase him down, but I only had an hour and a half to an extended downtime for Incarna 1.1, and I didn't want to waste any of it. Amarr was 4 jumps out, so I head over there, pick up my scimitar, and start dropping my ship fit in various incursion channels.

It seems like people don't really care about running sites these days. It's more important to have the shiniest fleet. "Looking for T3 and faction battleship 800+ DPS" one advert read. "Basilisk lvl 5 needed" read another. Back in the day, my hurricane got me through probably hundreds or sites and has killed thousands of sansha ships. But today, I'd have a hard time finding someone to let it into their fleet. Elitist, every one, it seems. But hey, I don't have to tell anyone that I'm secretly logi 4. It doesn't matter really as a scimi, I guess. I can run 4 large reps as easily as the next guy. So I get an invite as the 11th guy to a fleet up in Gallente space, 13 jumps away.

Off I go, on my way to seek riches from Concord's deep pockets. In 10 minutes or so while mindlessly jumping gates, the fleet doesn't do anything. That's not really surprising. But hey, I'm here to make some isk, so let's get moving! Wodo Prophet, the one barking orders, is sitting on gate in his vulture with a couple battleships and three (!) other logis. When I say barking, I really mean something more like mumling through static and cutting out. He didn't have his stuff together, but few do. Leadership, people! If you're going to set up a fleet, take charge and get going.

I'm three jumps out when Fox Andromeda warps in with his 2-3 billion isk nightmare. The logis and other battleships warp in after him. Then half a minute later, Wodo seems to notice that he's all alone. He snaps. Goes on an on about how people warped into the site (an NCO, of all things) without him saying anything. Blaming Fox for the loss of the fleet. Saying how long it was going to take to finish the site with only 6 people there. *sigh* When I arrive, he's still sitting on gate, refusing to join the fleet inside. I jump in to find the site nearly completed. Wodo gets worn out from whining and just drops fleet. Paycheck #1. Running a site, even slower than normal, is much better than running no sites.

I assume de facto control of the fleet, not that there's much to control. Just go with the flow, shoot stuff, don't let people die, and make isk. I warp to the other NCO in system, followed by another scimi, a pair of basis, and a maelstrom. Ok, this is ridiculous. As I head to reship to a hurricane (yay!), I leave instructions with the 4 on gate to get started and the others to join as they arrive. "But we at least need a tank ship to warp in first," the maelstrom pilot says. You're in a maelstrom! Fighting frigs! With 3 logis to back up you! How dense can you get? Anyway, while I'm gone, someone thankfully decides to start the site. I get back to finish clearing it out. Paycheck #2.

There's a minmatar battleship wreck sitting there on the field. Some ignorant fool who warped into the site alone, probably. (Yes, they do still exist.) With my standard salvager on board, I head over to make the best of it. About 10 mil worth of mods and ammo are promptly transported over to my cargohold. Nobody else took it first, you ask? Well, this is what happens when you fly with Scared Bears™.

"Who took the wreck?!?" they all ask, angrily.
"I did."
"Who took from that wreck? You're putting us all in danger!"
"I did."
"Check loot history. We'll find out who it was," someone else chimes in.
"Guys. Calm down. I took the wreck."
"You did?"
"Yes, I've been saying that." And to calm them down I add, "And if you lose your ship due to aggro from me, I'll pay for your ship. Don't worry about it."
"He's going to come back and shoot us."

By this time, the whole fleets all cowering like a bunch of, well, cowards. Pointing fingers at me about how I'm risking the entire fleet and what not. Did anyone else bother to check the wreck? It belonged to someone in an NPC corp who wasn't even online. 1 against 10? "He'll destroy us all!" That's the Scared Bear™ way of thinking. And it drives me insane. I have no problem guaranteeing the safety of that 3-bil isk nightmare because there's nothing to be afraid of. Nobody else seemed to get it. Man up. Take risks. That's how you enjoy yourself.

With 20 minutes left before downtime and 9 people in fleet, Fox (who's mic suddenly works again) decides to call off the fleet, saying we won't have time enough to run the OTA where we're sitting just outside. An hour later, I'm 20 mil richer. But with the childlike whining, elitist snobbery, and cowardly tendencies, I'm not sure it was worth it. I'm remembering why I quit running incursions. I guess, like everything in Eve, it's about the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment